Saturday 4 August 2012

Woes of unemployment

WOE IS ME.
Today I applied for a horrendous number of jobs. Not one, not ten. Heck, not even twenty. It must have been at least twenty-five, and I can almost guarantee that they're all going to come back in the negative. Much to my disgust.

Last time I went job hunting (around this time last year, actually), I found that actually I didn't need the money. The reason I wanted to work was because I finally could. I was old enough to have a national insurance number, old enough to manage my time... Heck, old enough to get out of the house and meet new people!
...Yet, as I'm sure you know, without work-experience, jobs are few and hard to come by.
So I gave up.

With university in the States on the horizon, I've realised that actually, money (and experience) is going to be an issue. Not only do Americans have bad public transport (compared to something like the UK bus system), but it means that I'm going to have to learn to drive, and buy, a motorised vehicle. I'm currently angling towards a scooter. Cheap, quick to learn, easy to buy, drive and care for. Simples.
But I have to get the money in the first place.

If I stayed in the UK, I would take out a student loan and use my 'college fund' per-say, for accommodation and social stuff like transport. In the States, I can't do that. I have to pay up front because I'm international and stuff.
Sucks.
Of course, I my family can still afford this, but due to the fact that my dad is going to have a larger hand in my finances, social stuff will become more tricky. 'Where did this money go?' or 'What was this?' will become common questions upon meeting, and the only way I can think of to avoid this is to have my own resources.
Hence the job.

Oh, and international students can't get jobs anywhere apart from on campus, and I really need to be working whilst I'm at university. Therefore, I need experience to give me the largest opportunity for employment.
/Sigh

So yeah. I've applied everywhere. From TGI's to Pizza Hut, to Next to Debenhams. E.V.E.R.Y.W.H.E.R.E. 
If they have a position going in a place I can travel to from my house relatively easily, I've applied for it, no doubt.

If not one of them gets back to me, I know that the 'work god' out there in the world hates me with a passion.

And of course, I'll know that I'm royally screwed.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE LET ME GET A JOB.

No comments:

Post a Comment